- Cannot retrive forecast data in module "mod_sp_weather".
Being located on a swampy land, there is an old tradition in the field of the hydrotechnical works.
At the beginning of the 14th century, the castle of the emperor Charles Robert could not be built without having the necessary knowledge for building the foundations of the constructions in swampy regions.
In 1514, the army of peasants led by Gheorghe Doja (Dozsa) tried to deviate the course of the Bega River to dry the water from the ditches surrounding the city.
1699 – A first architect or chief engineer of Timisoara is mentioned
Radonia Meimar, carried out his activity in the city. Radonia (Radogna) is a Slavic name, from the name family of Radu, Rado, Raduiev; mimar means architect in Turkish.
The existence of an architect or a chief engineer of the city in those times represents an absolute premiere for our geographical area.
1728-1732 – The Bega Canal – the first navigable channel in our country
In 1727 – 1728, the adjustment of Bega upstream of Timisoara was started in order to ensure:
– The water required by the new fortifications (the land around the fortifications could be flooded, this was very important for city-defence).
- A constant water level required by the waterway, which was executed between 1728 and 1733 downstream of Timisoara. It connected the city, through the Tisza and Danube rivers, to the river system of Central Europe.
The canal, which was functional over two centuries, was the first navigable channel of the present territory of our country.
- The draining of the marshes upstream and downstream of Timisoara was intended, in order to make the air healthier and to practice agriculture in those areas.
1718- The first brewery on the territory of present Romania.
In 1718, the establishment for the brandy distillery and the installation for beer production of some Hebrew entrepreneurs were certainly functioning, being located in the current Children’s Park. This was the first brewery on the territory of present Romania. Since the mid eighteenth century the factory has been located on the current site, which is the third location in the very long history of Timisoara brewery.
1732-1744 The Fabric district – the oldest industrial area on the present territory of our country
In 1732, “the Factory of Cloth” was mentioned as the first manufacture on the territory of the present Fabric District. Then, other manufactures were built in the area.
In 1744, the construction of the residential Fabric district was approved, with the nearby factories, being the oldest industrial area on the present territory of our country.
1732 – Building of the water supply system “hydraulic machine”
After having abandoned the idea of an aqueduct, to bring drinking water from Giarmata, in 1732, a “hydraulic machine” was built on an island of the Bega River in the current Fabric District. The machine pumped filtered water from Bega in a main channel consisting of two wooden pipes.
This water supply system built in Timisoara in 1732 was one of the oldest systems of water supply on the territory of our country, with the exception of underground aqueducts built by the Romans in Dacia in antiquity.
Later, in 1774 a new hydraulic machine was built, it was a 6 meter high cylindrical brick tower. Water from a fountain was lifted, by hydraulic power, into the tower and distributed to public fountains in the Cetate district.
This hydraulic machine appears on Timisoaras town’s coat of arms.
1723 – 1761 The Fortress of Timisoara – built after of European urbanism principles
From around 1727, plans were drawn up to rebuild on a completely new rectangular street shape the Cetate district.
Previously, most residential buildings in this district were made of wood. The new building had to be made of brick (to prevent fires in case of a siege).
Concepts, which were the basis for designing and successfully completing this district, represented the most advanced principles of European urbanism of that time.
The Timisoara Fortress was the largest fortification using a bastion system of our country.
1758 – The oldest hydrotechnical system - the hydrotechnical core Budinţ – Chizătău, which is still functioning at the moment as well
Between 1758 – 1763, the whole hydrotechnical system of Banat was revised and updated under the leadership of the engineer Maximilien Frémaut. It was important for Timisoara to have a constant water level in the Bega channel.
The system completed in Banat in the mid eighteenth century is the oldest hydrotechnical system on the current territory of our country, which, with some subsequent improvements is still functioning nowadays.
1745 – building of the town hospital, the first one in Romania* (24 years before the one in Vienna and 34 years before Budapest)
1760 – first town of the Habsbourg Empire with street lighting with lamps (with suet and oil)
1771 – publishing of the first newspaper in Romania* and the first German newspaper in south-eastern Europe: “Temeswarer Nachrichten”
1815 – Josef Klapka’s library, the first library in the Habsbourg Empire, Hungary Kingdom and Romanian* territories
1819 – 25. 03 - administration of smallpox vaccination for the first time in Central Europe
1823 – Janos Bolyai lays the foundations of the first non-Euclidian geometry in the world
1846 – Franz Listzt hold a concert in timisoara, at the Baroc Palace
1847 – Johann Strauss, the son, holds his first concert outside Vienna in the brewery’s courtyard
Timisoara becomes during this period an important center of music in Europe
1853 – the telegraph line Vienna-Timisoara-Sibiu is set in action
1857 – 01.11 - first town in Romania* and the Habsbourg Empire with street lighting with gas
1857 - Timisoara was linked with the European railway system by constructing the railway.
Continued (1858) to Baziaş, on the Danube, the railway would serve the entire Balkan area.
1869 – 8.07 - first town in Romania* with a tram pulled by horses between Cetate and Fabric districts
1869 – first town in Romania* with a regular fluvial traffic of goods and passengers
1881 – first telephone plant in Timişoara
1884 –12.11- first European town to have introduced general electrical street lighting, with 731 lamps
In 1884, an absolute premiere took place. Timisoara was the first city on the continent in which general electric street lighting was introduced. In Timisoara, public street lighting was designed and executed from the beginning as a general system, for an entire city. The power grid covered an area of the 10 square km. In Timisoara the whole town was illuminated, not just a street or two, fuelled by a small local generator, as it had happened since 1881 in Stockholm and in 1882 in Berlin.
1886 – 2.12- first emergency service in Romania* and Hungary
1899 – 24.07- the first electrical tram in Timisoara runs from Fabric district to North Railway Station
1910 – The hydroelectric power plant – the first hydroelectric power plant on a river in Romania*
Between 1907 – 1910, the hydroelectric power plant was built on the Bega River at the entrance of the Fabric District, the so-called “turbines”. The “turbines” are important also from tehnical point of view, as also for their secession arhitecture.
1938 – First welding machinery for train and tram rails, invention of professor Corneliu Micloşi
1942 – First trolleybus line in Romania
On November 15th, 1942, the first line of trolley service in Romania functioned (in Bucharest the first trolley line opened in 1949). The first vehicles in Timisoara were “filobuse” from Fiat Torino. The term “firobuz” is the direct translation into Romanian of the Italian word “filobus”, and is used only in Timisoara.
1953 – The Timisoara Theaters
Timisoara is the only city in the country in which three state theatres operate in three different languages. Together with the National Theatre in Romanian, there are the Hungarian State Theatre (in 1952, became an autonomous institution in 1956) and the German State Theatre (1953, autonomous since 1956). Also the Timisoara Romanian Opera functions in the same building.
1969 – first alphanumeric computer in Romania, MECIPT1 (Masina Electronica de Calcul a Institutului Politehnic Timisoara)
1989 – First communism-free city in Romania
Timisoara is the city where, on December 15th, 1989, the anticommunist Romanian Revolution broke out.
On December 20th, 1989, Timisoara is the first free town in Romania, paving the way for the removal of the communist dictatorship and the introduction of democratic political structures in all the country.
1996 – birth of the first baby through embryo transfer to the carrying mother in Romania
2001 – first laser heart surgery in Romania
2002 – first tax payment system on the Internet in Romania
2003 – first stem cells transplant in Romania
and the list can continue.
Search the site
Fotografii din Banat