Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

The Brewery

fabrica de bere-smallIt is situated on 28 Ştefan cel Mare St. The area was parceled in 1744 or shortly afterwards, probably the first buildings which existed in 1764 dated back then, they were rebuilt in 1868, 1883, and brought up to date after 1890.

The brewery is one of the oldest production units mentioned in Timişoara. Ever since 1717, the brewing license is granted to some Hebrew traders. In 1718, beer was definitely being produced in Timişoara. The oldest establishment was located in today’s Copiilor (Children’s) Park.

In 1727, the establishment located in a new place was working, at the intersection of present-day C.D. Loga and Camil Petrescu streets.

Between 1744 and 1750, the current location was parceled and occupied, the third in the brewery’s long history.

The oldest of the current buildings is the so-called “Turkish Church”. Legend has it that the building was made in Turkish times. In reality, before 1744, there were no buildings in that area. The building appears on city plans only since 1806.

During the last rehabilitation, a white marble plaque with the inscription Franciscus II 1806 was found. It is Emperor Francisc II (Franz II) of the Holy Roman Empire, which was dissolved in 1806. The same monarch was also Emperor Francisc I of the Austrian Empire, proclaimed in 1804. For two years, Francisc was a king twice. Since 1792, he was the Emperor of the Holy Empire – Sacrum Imperium Romanum, in which each new emperor had to be elected by the electors, and which did not constitute a state in the current sense of the term, but was a loose confederation of over 300 “territorial states” and free cities, which sometimes were at war with each other. When Napoleon was crowned emperor in France, in August 1804 Francisc proclaimed himself emperor of the newly created Austrian Empire, a hereditary monarchy in which succession to the throne was made on a hereditary basis in the royal family of Habsburg-Lorraine.

The “Turkish Church” has a resistance structure made of massive wooden pillars and beams, typical of the industrial architecture of the early nineteenth century. The entrance’s arch, in the form of a “basket handle”, is reminiscent of the Baroque style, the two Doric semi-columns which flank the entry belonging to the Classicist style.

The other buildings in the ensemble are due to the “bringing up to date” done at the end of the nineteenth century and in the twentieth century.

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  December 2018  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
     
      

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Vremea

Clear

-1°C

Timișoara

Clear

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna