Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Ancora Palace

palatul ancora small

The Ancora Palace or Aladar Kudelich Palace is situated at 24, 25 General Dragalina Bd.
It was built in less than a year between 1901-1902.

The architect was Martin Gemeinhardt.

The Ancora (Anchor) Palace is one of the outstanding buildings of the 1900s architecture in Timişoara. The simplified visual language appropriate to the 1900s style uses Neo-Gothic decorations as well. The tower strongly setting out the corner of the building is inspired by medieval Gothic towers’ silhouette.

The anchor mounted on the tower, facing the Bega waterway, reminds of once intense nautical activity on the Bega River. But this house sign is the result of a linguistic confusion: the plot was once called “At the Green Field” (Zum Grünen Anger). For the word “estate” the German archaic word “Anger” was used, a word no longer used in daily speech. Because in the 1900s the meaning of “Anger” was unknown, pronounced in the Timişoara speech “Anker”, it was thought to be this “Anker”, or “anchor” in current German speech. Therefore the building received as a “house sign” an anchor, keeping the palace’s name until present day.

 

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  April 2019  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
     

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna