Română (România)English (United Kingdom)Serbian

Former "Tobacco Factory", the Cigarette Factory

The Cigarette Factory is on Splaiul Titulescu – 2 Pop de Băseşti Street. It was initially built in 1846, rebuilt in the 80's of the 19th century and extended for several times.

The „Tobacco Factory” has been the first industrial establishment built in Iosefin, in 1846, even before the application of the tobacco state monopole in the Habsburg Monarchy. Initially, only the tobacco was processed. Subsequently, the cigarette production ("havane"), which has been initially made in the Dicasterial Palace of Cetate district until the 80's of the 19th century, was processed. The factory became thus an important facility for the production of tobacco and cigarettes.

In the 19th century, the women constituted the majority of the employees in the cigarette factories. Even the famous Carmen, the main heroine of the opera Carmen by Georges Bizet, the beloved gipsy woman of Don José and the toreador Escamillo, according to the opera's libret, was employed as a worker in the cigarette factory in Sevilla. Before the First World War, 90% of the employees working in the Cigarette Factory of Timisoara were women residing in the neighboring districts, especially the Iosefin and Mehala districts.  Before the First World War this complex was considered the second "tobacco factory" as size from the Hungarian Kingdom. Today, the tobacco processing activity as well as the cigarette production have been stopped. .

The building external facades, currently enchanting our view, were definitely built before the First World War. Consisting in a ground floor, two floors and a chimney – tower, also visible today, the industrial complex dominated the surrounding area, by its height and massiveness. Remarkable is the appearance of the first interior yard, the one oriented towards the splai (roadway), where we can find the chimney. The "Tobacco Factory" represents an interesting example of the industrial architecture preserving the style of 1900.

The plate of a hydrographic height symbol, dated before the First World War, can also be seen on the facade towards the splai (roadway), on the left of the current entrance door to "The Agency for Payment and Involvements in Agriculture".

Search the site

logo-engleza-1

Events

<<  September 2021  >>
 Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun 
  
   

Fotografii din Timișoara

Fotografii din Banat

Exchange rate

 

european-cities-marketing-logo

For information about the other programmes financed by the European Union in Romania, as well as for detailed information regarding the membership of Romania in the European Union, please visit the website of the Representation of the European Commission in Romania.
The accuracy and the coherence of this website is the sole responsibility of the Municipality of Timisoara and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
ukash
elektronik sigara
elektronik sigara e sigara
elips c elektronik sigara
oyunlar oyna